Popular Posts

G-Talk

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cyclops - From Yellow to White to Green!

For those of you with sports bikes, essentially a CBR, or to those who have looked closely at one, you may have noticed accent lights on the front. Some have two one in each corner, others may have them at the top close together, or the bottom stretched far apart. Either way, changing them to a colour you like is a great cheap way to make your bike more 'your own.' For the CBR 125r the accent light is a cyclopsed bulb at the top between the headlights. I've seen many different colours from stock to blue, purple and white. How it came to be that I changed Kenna's accent light was unexpected, at least for me. I noticed one night well reving the engine (before I actually rode I just sat on her listening to her purr) that the license plate light was out. Know this was considered illegal and that I knew eventually I would be riding at night, I went to Canadian Tire in search of a replacement. I didn't have the bulb code but I knew someone should be able to help with that and point me in the direction of a whiter glowing blub as well. After buying the whitest bulb I could and receiving the bulb code I was excited to take the light housing off and do some 'work on the bike.' After replacing the license plate bulb it got me thinking, 'maybe the accent bulb is the same!' Sure enough it was! After replacing that I didn't notice a difference in the orignal blub and my $2.50 replacement from CT. So I decided to hit up eBay and buy an 'ultra white' LED blub. I also looked for other places I could use a bulb this size because the eBay sales were all for 2 or more bulbs. I found a few places on my car so I bought 4 white LEDs, two for Kenna, license plate and accent, and two for the car license plate. Here's a photo of Kenna with the 'ultra white' LED.



These are the LEDs




I rode with that light for a few weeks and showed people and everyone seemed to think it was cool and made me a little more visible from the front and also differentiated Kenna from the other CBR 125s on the road. But after I got Charlie from my girlfriend I decided that the white LED was just too regular and I wanted something that looked uber cool! From there I bought two green LEDs from eBay. One for the front and one for the license plate area that is on my new CBR 150 tail light, not where the actual plate is, that should stay white. Here is a photo of what it looks like. It's not the best photo, I'll put more in Kenna's album later. With the new addition of a green cyclops light I had to go one further! Rim stripes to come...!










Until next time,'Live to Ride, Ride to Live'

0 comments:

Post a Comment