Popular Posts

G-Talk

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Oh THAT'S my speed, I see it now!

Ever look down well riding and say to yourself, 'damn! the amber glow of the gauge cluster really really sucks!' I know I have! And that's when, during the start of another mod I was working on, I saw an opportunity to fix this. I had several left over ultra white LEDs from when I wanted to make the cyclopes light white. They just so happened to fit (bulb type 168) and I had just enough, after I dropped on inside the gauge that I couldn't rescue...

Anyway, it's VERY simple to do. Pick a colour you want your gauges to be, blue, green, white, whatever. Then take the two plastic parts around the handle bars off (4 screws each) then take the bolts on either side of the gauge cluster out and lastly, pop out the pin holding the centre in place. (It's right behind the High Beam light area under the cluster.

From there just start (gently) pulling the rubber boots that hold the light bulbs out of their places. The middle two are for the high beam and neutral light. I left those cause I didn't have enough bulbs, but because the plastic cover on the front of the cluster is coloured a new bulb shouldn't change anything.

The gauges came out great but did have a tint of green. I believe that's the plastic of the gauge, I think it has a greenish film on one side. I'm sure you could remove it, but that would mean taking apart the cluster itself and I'm not doing that! (too lazy)

Here are a few pictures, more can be found, as always, in Kenna's Picasa Web Album!







Until next time,'Live to Ride, Ride to Live'

0 comments:

Post a Comment