Popular Posts

G-Talk

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Carbon Fibre Power!

I've always wanted to try the vinyl carbon fibre wrap on something, so after I got my WeeBR and noticed the mat black spots I decided that that was a prefect place to try it! I didn't like the mat black look anyway so a little fake carbon fibre shouldn't look any worse.

The vinyl I bought from eBay 3M Carbon Fibre, just search it and it'll come up. I bought a 2'x4' sheet, which is more than enough and watched a few videos on YouTube about how to apply this stuff.

Getting started was tricky to say the least. I must have restarted 4 times from 3 different spots before I really got going. I used an electric heat gun, but i would recommend a hair drier because it has less power and you're less likely to burn your fingers. You might want to consider having someone else around to help you hold the drier well you try and get the bubbles out. This stuff is pretty forgiving if you make mistakes. All you have to do to correct yourself is heat up the area that got messed up and stretch the 3M vinyl out. TAKE YOUR TIME!! This is not a rush job! I rushed one part (no pictures) and now I'm going to have to redo it. It was so bad I didn't want to take pictures to show people. Give yourself a few hours to do complex pieces and an hour to do simple flat surfaces. I have enough left over to redo both parts I did (which I plan on doing) and some small pieces to wrap the turn signals and maybe mirror backs. It ended up looking really nice! (looking past the ugly and imaging it if it was done right.) You can get the vinyl carbon fibre in a few different styles. I recommend '3D' but you can also get silver and others. The good thing about the 3M vinyl is that it has texture to it and is not smooth. There are actual weaves in the vinyl. Also, it's pretty strong and weather resistant for the most part.

So! Find your style, buy it, install it and show it off! There are many kinds of vinyl out there too, not just carbon fibre so look around for one that fits you and your bike!

Here are some pictures of the process and finished product!











Until next time,'Live to Ride, Ride to Live'

0 comments:

Post a Comment